[tex-live] Problems with non-7bit characters in filename

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Sun Jul 6 12:16:03 CEST 2014

Am Sun, 6 Jul 2014 02:50:12 +0200 schrieb Reinhard Kotucha:

> On 2014-07-05 at 13:31:58 +0200, Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>
>  > Regardless if I'm in the command line, in a command line with
>  > chcp 65001, in a msys bash (with \\ there):  miktex works, texlive
>  > not.
>
> Does MiKTeX allow to create a file (\openout) whose mame contains
> characters which are not supported by the 8-bit codepage currently
> in use, e.g. '日本語.foo'?

Yes it does, see below. But I don't think that this is relevant in
the discussion. I don't need my tools to be able to handle all
scripts in the world. My editor can't handle right-to-left writing
and I couldn't care less. And until some time ago the editor could
handle utf8 only if I used only chars that could be mapped to chars
cp 1252 range and this was absolutly no problem. And this true for a
lot of people: they don't need utf8 to access exotic glyphs. The
main benefit of utf8 for me is that -- as a standard format -- it is
easier to move around between different OS and between people.

Well an here the result of the miktex tests. I did run this with
lualatex:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}

\begin{filecontents}{abc日本語.tex}
  \documentclass{article}
  \usepackage{fontspec}
  \begin{document}
   hello öäü
   \end{document}
\end{filecontents}

\begin{document}
\newwrite\testwrite
\immediate\openout\testwrite=xyz日本語.tex
\immediate\write\testwrite{öäü}
\immediate\closeout\testwrite

\input{xyz日本語}
\end{document}

It worked without problems and created the files. In the windows
explorer the files names looks right.

I can open the files in my editor and compile there with miktex with
the normal shortcuts.

I can access and run the abc-file on the command line with tab
completation (that's why I added the abc ...) and compile it without
problems. I see on the command line the file name like this:

lualatex abc???.tex

Output written on abcµùѵ£¼Þ¬×.pdf (1 page, 3613 bytes).

TeXLive says in all cases "! I can't find file `abc???.tex'."

> I tried chcp 65001 some time ago on Windows7 but it had no effect.

Well it changes something: I can't some input chars (I didn't change
the console font for the tests), but I didn't try to find out more
about it.

> Yes, when I give files away I'm careful too,

As the majority of files I handle are either for or from other
people I'm simply always careful.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/