[tex-live] Bug in xdvipdfmx (was (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map (was: (x)dvipdfmx and fully embeded fonts in pdftex.map))

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jul 5 03:51:14 CEST 2014

    kdebug:kpse_find_file: searching for SkakNew-Figurine.otf of type
    tfm (from texmf.cnf)

    So in xdvipdfmx otf has the wrong type. And bingo: If I move the otf
    to fonts/tfm it is found.

Puzzling.  I see a different problem.  Although my xdvipdfmx does try to
look up the TFM, I thought it really was looking for (and finding) a tfm
there.  Also, in my output, the extension has been removed:
  kdebug:kpse_find_file: searching for SkakNew-Figurine of type tfm (from
  texmf.cnf)

Maybe your result, and the different diagnostics, are due to differences
between w32tex (= where the xdvipdfmx Windows binary in TL came from)
and the Unix TL binaries?  Akira?

Anyway, I see plenty of not-critical issues in the filename lookups, but
ultimately, on i386-linux, it says it is finding the right file:
kdebug:fopen(/home/texlive/karl/Master/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/skaknew/SkakNew-Figurine.otf, rb) => 0x9957190

But then it immediately aborts:
xdvipdfmx:fatal: Not a CFF/OpenType font?

dvipdfmx, on the other hand, finds the same file and does not abort.
Khaled?

Looking at the source, I see lots of xdvipdfmx vs. dvipdfmx differences
in this area.  And unfortunately the same error message is repeated in
several places, so it's not immediately evident where it's coming from
(error msgs should be uniqified...).  I'm not up for running it under
the debugger tonight.

I simplified the input file to use plain tex, called it tryot.tex:
  \nopagenumbers \font\test = SkakNew-Figurine \test K \end

Then create a ./pdftex.map containing the line:
SkakNew-Figurine SkakNew-Figurine <SkakNew-Figurine.otf
(the reencode is irrelevant here so far as I can see)

Then run:
  xetex --no-pdf tryot.tex
  env KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1 xdvipdfmx tryot.xdv

(My [x]dvipdfmx doesn't recognize --kpathsea-debug, don't know
when or why that happened; another separate thing to deal with.)

And I get the fatal error above.

karl