[tex-live] Install file of the TL should have unique name

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Fri Jan 17 18:46:05 CET 2014

Le vendredi 17/01/14 à 18h14,
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> a écrit :

> And how exactly do you suggest to fix the issue for those?

Either on DVD and on the .iso file, let the files (particularly the
install files) have unique names. Currently, we have:

  install-tl
  install-tl-advanced.bat
  install-tl.bat
  install-tl.exe
  install-tl.exe.sha256
  install-tl-unx.tar.gz
  install-tl-unx.tar.gz.sha256
  install-tl.zip
  install-tl.zip.sha256

IMHO, install-tl-windows.bat instead of install-tl.bat is nice but
install-tl.exe, install-tl.exe.sha256, install-tl.zip and
install-tl.zip.sha256 should have less suggestive (and different) names,
otherwise an absent minded user could click on (one of the)
"install-tl" (if extensions are hidden) instead of "install-tl-windows".

A better approach could be to hide, as dot files, the auxiliary files
(the not supposed to be run by the user).

The same applies on Unix as some file managers hide the extensions. And,
typically:
- install-tl should be named install-tl-unx
- the *.zip* and *.tar.gz* files shouldn't have the names of the
  installation files.

The same applies to:

  update-tlmgr-latest.exe@
  update-tlmgr-latest.exe.sha256@
  update-tlmgr-latest.sh@
  update-tlmgr-latest.sh.sha256@
  update-tlmgr-r31673.exe
  update-tlmgr-r31673.exe.sha256
  update-tlmgr-r31674.sh*
  update-tlmgr-r31674.sh.sha256

About install-tl-advanced.bat, maybe it could be better to have a unique
install-tl-windows.bat file and that a option, at the 1st step, let the
user choose the advanced wizard: I don't know if this is easy to
provide.
--
Denis