[tex-live] Fundamental package texlive.infra not present, uh oh, goodbye

doed linguafalsa at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 01:44:31 CET 2014

Hello Norbert.

In 2013 Karl posted a message that although it dealt with disk space, is
extremely relevant to my situation in which the assessment of the disk
is imminent failure.

After a fresh installation, tlmgr update --all returned the
Fundamental package texlive.infra not present, uh oh, goodbye warning.

I wonder about the lines above, because tlmgr showed texlive.infra, but
yet it was unable to update the packages. Hence the "Fundamental package
texlive.infra not present, uh oh, goodbyeSerious error, texlive.infra
not found at line 5853" error.

So if you were to invoke tlmgr show texlive.infra, it returned what was expected.

Then, tlmgr restore texlive.infra 30804 (TeXLive 2013) was invoked, which
returned texlive.infra: package not present, cannot remove, and
updated the log afterwards.

Finally tlmgr update --all :

Updates for tlmgr itself are present.
So, please update the package manager first, via either
  tlmgr update --self
or by getting the latest updater for Unix-ish systems:

Which by

tlmgr update --self

reinstalled

[1/1, ??:??/??:??] update: texlive.infra [299k] (30804 -> 31673) ... done

Norbert, The way I see it  is like this.

Hardware is faulty. I understand that read and write could fail, but too
much is relying on tlmgr alone. And although the disk is known to have
bad sectors, I can't and won't be able to understand that the issue is
only with yours.