[tex-live] OT2 vs. T2A; compilation by apache user issues

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 14:25:42 CET 2014

> Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:
>
>> Is it not time to put this sad, inadequate, antedeluvian 8-bit
>> technology out of its misery ?  Is there any real reason why
>> someone wanting multiple language support should not simply
>> adopt Unicode and Xe[La]TeX as his (or her) preferred way of
>> working ?
>
> most of the time (fsvo "most") the 7-bit knuthian fonts just work.  the
> latex-inspired 8-bit encodings have been useful for some time, too.
>
> however, there are painfully many legacy applications whose structure
> assumes an 8-bit font structure.  (example: the uk tex faq.)
>
> what's missing is the tutorial stuff to help people to switch.  i'll
> soon have more spare time (i'm about to retire), and such material is on
> my to-do list.  i advise users not to hold their breath...

It will be extremely useful. I myself learned much from Jonathan Kew's
lecture in the TUG conference in Marrakech. Jonathan gave a lecture
for CSTUG members in 2007 in Brno. You can view the slides:

http://www.cstug.cz/aktivity/2007/CSTUG-talk.pdf

and watch the video (according to the license it can be used for study
purposes only):

http://www.video.muni.cz/public/xetex/xetex.avi

--
Zdeněk Wagner