[tex-live] Feature request for TL 2014 (or later): Easier installation of local/experimental packages

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Feb 14 02:31:49 CET 2014

On 2014-02-14 at 08:47:13 +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:

 > People could use
 > 	tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT /some/test/texmf:/another/:/evenmore/
 > to add trees, and
 > 	tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT ""
 > to unset (although I am not sure if that works ATM in tlmgr with an empty "")

A nonexistent directory doesn't hurt, hence an empty string should be
ok too.  But this also means that I even could write

   tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT delete

But it's better to treat "delete" as a special case, just to avoid
problems if there is a file or dirctory ./delete in the current
working directory (means: s/^delete$//).

Another possibility is to allow the last argument to be undefined.
Then you could simply say

   tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT

but I fear that it's too easy to do this accidentally, hence I dislike
this "solution".  A dedicated error message is certainly more helpful.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25