[tex-live] Feature request for TL 2014 (or later): Easier installation of local/experimental packages

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Feb 12 13:13:43 CET 2014

On Mi, 12 Feb 2014, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
> The following procedure should be scriptable:

Wait, I am thinking about a better way that is easier to do.

What are the necessary steps?
* get the package in TDS format. Here we cannot help, although
  the ctan2tds script might be used?!
* add another directory entry TEXMFPROJECT or so the thexmf tree.
	(texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf)
  that should be done from *our* side.
* use
	tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT /my/path/foo/bar
* if necessary, use updmap-sys (since updmap.cfg files are local
  you can have /my/path/foo/bar/web2c/updmap.cfg!!!)
* simply use it

Remove:
* remove TEXMFPROJECT setting
	(not implemented) tlmgr conf texmf TEXMFPROJECT --clear
* if it was run first, rerun updmap-sys

I think this would quite easy, right?

Ulrike, would this qualify for your solution?

Norbert