[tex-live] Install TeX Live 20130914 failed

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 14:27:19 CEST 2013

2013/9/17 Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk>:
> Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org> wrote:
>
>>   I think Babel Hebrew is hopelessly broken for pdfTeX and other 8-bit
>> engines.  The fonts it looks for don't seem to be available any more, on
>> CTAN or elsewhere (I investigated this a few months ago).  Philip,
>> however, is using XeTeX, and is not even using Babel at all from what I
>> understand, so his problem is different.
>
> there are a few hebrew metafonts on ctan, and (i think) one type 1.  at
> least one isn't available to tex live, for licence reasons.
>
>>   I don't think it makes much sense to try and fix Babel for 8-bit TeX
>> engines; XeTeX and, to a great extent, LuaTeX, do a great job for Hebrew
>> and that's what people seem to actually be using.
>
> but [xe/lua]tex users are still bitten by the lack of hyphenation
> patterns, surely?

This page contains information on Hebrew hyphen but does not say that
the words could be hyphenated at line breaks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_punctuation#Hyphen_and_maqaf

I do not know any Hebrew speaking person so I cannot find out whether
Hebrew hyphenates words.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/