[tex-live] Install TeX Live 20130914 failed

Philip Taylor P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Sep 17 12:52:29 CEST 2013

Please, let this not get diverted into a Babel (or Polyglossia,
or any other high-level package) question.  It is far more
fundamental, and consists of (I think) several parts :

1) If a user installs TeX Live specifying

	Collections: all; packages: all; schemes: all

how does he or she ask the system for which languages \lang@<language>
is defined ?

2) If the user then wishes to add a language that is not pre-defined,
how should he or she go about it ?

3) If the language is one for which patterns do not currently exist,
and for which the user is unable to supply patterns, is it correct
(as Zdeněk suggests) that at the lowest level this is specified by
\language = -1, and if so, how should \lang at hebrew be defined in
order that \uselanguage {hebrew} has the desired effect ?

4) XeTeX provides additional functionality through \XeTeXlinebreaklocale
‹Locale ID›, which in this case would
be \XeTeXlinebreaklocale {he}.  Given that language.def is
under texmf-var/tex/generic/config/, this would suggest
that language.def is the /wrong/ place to add \XeTeXlinebreaklocale.
Where do XeTeX-specific tweaks to language.def go ?

** Phil.
--------

--
Windows 8 ? Just say "no".