[tex-live] tlmgr 2013 for OS X | undefined PATH in TLUtils.pm

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 11:34:04 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 11:50 PM, Karl Berry wrote:

>         chomp (my $sysctl = `/usr/sbin/sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable`);
>
> Thanks for finding the bug.  I think it would be better not to assume
> MacOSX's sysctl is in /usr/sbin, since Apple could move it somewhere
> else at any time.  So I changed it (again) to:
> chomp (my $sysctl = `PATH=/usr/sbin:\$PATH sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable`);
>
> (Amazing how much random trouble results from supporting 64-bit
> craziness.)

I think this is the least concern. If anything, it's probably more
likely that they would remove the command or "hw.cpu64bit_capable",
and if they do, Dick will be the first one to notice anyway.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that the command could even be
changed to something like:

    if ($os_major >= 10 && $os_minor >= 7)
        use x86_64 without even bothering about sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable

(if not 10.7, then 10.8 for sure). So if you are worried about
backward compatibility, the best thing to do would be to limit the
usage of "sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable" just to the OS versions where
both i386 and x86_64 are supported and default to x86_64 for all later
versions.

Mojca