[tex-live] dviselect wishlist?

Ryo Furue furue at hawaii.edu
Sat Nov 16 04:20:32 CET 2013

Hello,

I'm new to this list.  I was wondering how to send a little
request (wish) to the author(s) of dviselect.

It's a little thing.  I'd like it to return a non-zero value
when the specified page is out of range.  It would also be
nice if dviselect didn't generate an output in that case.
The current behavior is

  $ dviselect -i tmp.dvi -o tmp2.dvi  100
  Wrote 0 pages, 84 bytes
  $ echo $?
  0
  $ ls -l tmp2.dvi
  . . . 84 Nov 15 17:15 tmp2.dvi
  $

If it returned a nonzero value and didn't generate an output,
it would be easy to split the DVI file into individual pages:

  n=1
  while true; do
     dviselect -i infile.dvi -o out$n.dvi $n || break
     n=`expr $n + 1`
  done

Of course, it's not a big deal.  It's just a little bit
of nice nicety :-)

Regards,
Ryo