[tex-live] Where is the root dir of my Tex Live installation

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Nov 16 17:49:45 CET 2013

Why do want to "deinstall all the latex packages"?   Are these the latex
packages installed by running "apt-get install texlive-full" or are they
packages that were already installed due to dependencies?

One problem with using GUI tools is that it is not as easy to past a record
of your session into email so others can help with problems.   Running "apt-get
install texlive-full" (actually "sudo apt-get install texlive-full" in a
terminal is the usual way to do this) should work even if some packages
were previously installed.

On Sat, Nov 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Gerald Pechoc <ubuntu at pechoc.eu> wrote:

> Hi Norbert,
>

> I have now installed synaptics to deinstall all the latex packages.
> This is not really possible, also because of dependencies, where I am not
> sure to delete programs I need otherwise.
>
> How can I manage that problem ?
>
> Gerald
>

> On 2013-11-16 15:16, Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> Hi Geradl,
>>
>> On Sa, 16 Nov 2013, Gerald Pechoc wrote:
>>
>>> 1) pdflatex could not be called (obviously some path problem)
>>>

>> THat is strange. Did you install texlive-full? It should not happen.
>>
>>  2) I had to install an additional Latex package (chemfig.sty)
>>>

>> THat is contained in texlive-pictures, and thus automatically installed
>> when doing
>>         apt-get install texlive-full
>>
>>  °What is the best and easiest way on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to get a running
>>> TEX System ?
>>>

>> Install it from the Ubuntu repository.
>>
>> Norbert

>> PREINING, Norbert                               http://www.preining.info
>> JAIST, Japan                                 TeX Live & Debian Developer
>> DSA: 0x09C5B094   fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76  A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia