[tex-live] User names too longs or with diacritics on Windows

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Wed May 1 14:06:51 CEST 2013

Some testing

hest.tex:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage[xindy]{glossaries}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\makeglossary

\newglossaryentry{hest}{
  name= \ensuremath{\mathbb{N}},
  description={The natural numbers},
  sort={N}
}

\begin{document}
hello world\glsadd{hest}
\printglossary
\end{document

System TL 2012, a small one where xindy is installed via tlmgr

hest.tex is compiled via pdflatex, and then in a command prompt:

C:\Users\briáøæålongbriáøæåvv\Documents\Test>makeglossaries hest
makeglossaries version 2.05 (2012-11-12)
added glossary type 'main' (glg,gls,glo)
xindy  -L english  -I xindy -M "hest" -t "hest.glg" -o "hest.gls" "hest.glo"

*** - PARSE-NAMESTRING: syntax error in filename "C:/Users/bri >'┼longbri >'┼vv\
\"
      at position 13

If I manually type the line starting with xindy (that is the xindy call made by makeglossaries), I get almost the same error:

C:\Users\briáøæålongbriáøæåvv\Documents\Test>xindy -L english -I xindy -M hest -
t hest.glg -o hest.gls hest.glo

*** - PARSE-NAMESTRING: syntax error in filename "C:/Users/briáøæålongbriáøæåvv\
\"
      at position 15
Break 1 [3]>

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University