[tex-live] yhmath confusion

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 2 09:06:33 CEST 2013

Joachim Schrod <jschrod at acm.org> wrote:

> Ulrike Fischer wrote:
>  file search on CTAN)

> >> development of the ctan web site is all done in germany ... so you're
> >> ideally placed to pursue its re-creation. :-}
> >
> > Germany is large and Dante e.V. is far away ;-)
>
> This has nothing to do with DANTE e.V. et al. And I'm seriously
> pissed off by such comments. Ulrike, do you want to shut down CTAN
> completly? Tell me.

i think you missed ulrike's smiley.

her comment was in response to my (equally not entirely serious)
suggestion that her geographical location would help getting her desired
amendment to the ctan site.

> We had a CTAN Web Site managed by a person who declined to do any
> communication with the (2 [sic!!]) persons who manage CTAN day by
> day. (Without those 2 people, no TeX Live packages, to make it
> relevant to this mailing list.) OK, his choice. Not a situation to
> be sustained for long.

we have a good designer and maintainer for the ctan web site.  his only
real "failing" is that he has other work to do, so tends not to drop
everything and jump whenever a fault is reported.

he has, however, a good record of dealing with problems in a timely
fashion.  i doubt we would find as good a maintainer without offering a
full salary (our present maintainer works voluntarily, of course).

let's not be snappy about this.  i don't think that was the import of
ulrike's remark.  (dante _does_ have an involvement in ctan, by paying
for the cloud facilities it uses; by the time i retire, tex.ac.uk is
slated to be similarly supported by uktug.  every sane tex user is
grateful for the facilities.)

robin