[tex-live] fonts in tex-live in pkgsrc

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Jan 9 03:48:37 CET 2013

Hi George,

(please send answers to the mailing list!)

first of all, this is a mailing list for the development of TeX Live,
so we will not be able to help you much in your private endeavours.

ANyway, let us try:

On Di, 08 Jan 2013, George Georgalis wrote:
> I'm using the pkgsrc packaged version of latex and tex-helvetic, but

Whatever that might be. Can you be a bit more specific?
Operating system, distribution, which version of TeX Live.

> I'm not able to use the font. Can someone give me guidance as to the

Because the Helvetica fonts are commercial and not shipped with TeX Live.
Simply use the TeX Gyre Heros or URF Helvetica fonts instead.

> best way for latex to make use of installed fonts? I'm interested in

\usepackage{....}

For TeX Gyre Heros it would be
\usepackage{tgheros}

For URW probably
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{uhv}
(I don't know if there is a separate .sty file for that)

> what can be done for quick execution today and also how best to patch
> these packages so they work without modification when they are
> installed.

THere is no need to patch any packages. You have to have the Adobe
Helvetica fonts installed and available to TeX to use them.

All the best

Norbert