[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 19:19:49 CET 2013

2013/2/15 Denis Bitouzé <dbitouze at wanadoo.fr>:
> Le vendredi 15/02/13 à 15h43,
> Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> a écrit :
>
>> That is exactly what I mean by a cloned TL for windows
>
> Only for Windows?

Windows is more difficult, it is necessary to run tlmgr postaction
with correct paameters. I unix systems it is just unpacked into some
directory and PATH has to be changed. Afterwards "texdoc texlive" says
how to install OpenType fonts so that they are found by XeTeX.

>> Prepare an updated TL on one PC, add a script, zip the tree, move to
>> student pc, unzip, run script, done.
>
> OK, in such a case, would be very nice!
>
> Hence, what could be helpful would be to provide on TL pages:
>
>   1. instead of the frozen .iso file, an updated TL zip tree to be
>   downloaded by users who are installing TL for the first time,
>
>   2. a documented way to maintain the previous tree up to date for
>   users who have already downloaded it but who would to provide it to
>   others.

tlmgr --help tells you how to switch repository (and what is the
prefered value) and then use tlmgr update. You should teach your
students to use help and texdoc.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/