[tex-live] So far.....expensive failure

Denis Bitouzé dbitouze at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 15 16:15:12 CET 2013

Le vendredi 15/02/13 à 16h02,
Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> a écrit :

> Building it from contents on CTAN (tar.xz files) is more
> straightforward than creating it from SVN.
>
> I'm still speculating, but I kind of believe that a shell script with
> a few lines of code should do it. Something like
>     rsync -av --delete rsync://<URL>/systems/texlive/tlnet/
> name-of-local-folder (with any rsync mirror from
> http://ctan.org/mirrors/) should give you all that's needed for
> creating an ISO file.

OK, thanks. But, as said before, the .iso files is not really required.
What is required, from my point of view, is either a monolithic archive
or a tree that could be provided by USB sticks and let the users
install (preferably an up to date version of) TL.

> The ISO files comes with a bit more files: autorun.inf, index.html,
> some LICESE files, sources, documentation, ... But if there is
> interest this could easily be accounted for and creating an iso file
> with the lastest version could be nearly trivial (if there is interest
> for creating own iso images of course).

IMHO, it is better to provide to beginners everything (I always
recommend the full installation scheme), especially packages
documentations that can nowadays be easily read thanks to texdoc
possibly combined with IDE tools.
--
Denis