[tex-live] For Karl Berry and TeX Live developers: Recommendation That LaTeX2HTML Be Included in TeX Live in a Mutually Working Way

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 24 00:21:42 CEST 2013

Hi Pat,

Thanks for your message.  No question that latex2html is a fine tool.

But as far as I know it cannot be included in TeX Live at present
because it is not "self-locating", that is, its data files and
sub-modules are expected to be found in a certain place on the system
determined at compilation time.  I also have the impression that the
output it generates may require web server configuration changes to work
well (/icons/ and the like).  I admit I'm not completely sure of either
of those points.

Regarding the license, as far as I know latex2html has been distributed
under the GNU GPL for some years, and the licence.tex you found is
obsolete (thankfully).  I'll write Ross about that now.

Regarding tex4ht's lack of a "tall vertical bar", I'll consult with
my colleague CVR, who has been continuing to fix bugs in tex4ht.

Best,
Karl