[tex-live] User names too longs or with diacritics on Windows

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Thu Apr 25 16:30:18 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 01:05:17PM +0000, Lars Madsen wrote:
> Wan't that what you called it?
>
> Sorry, 'folder redirection'

Ok. But usually a folder would not be directly redirected to a UNC
path. Instead, I would expect the UNC path to be mapped to a drive
letter and the folder to be redirected to this drive letter.

Check the registry key
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shell
folders or
HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\user shell
folders for any UNC paths.

Let me list, just for fun, a few stumbling blocks when dealing with
the windows file `system':
- M$ has something resembling symlinks which it calls junction
  points or reparse points, and which cause all manner of
  unpleasantness. This seems to be done to accomodate programs which
  hard-code these shell folder names instead of looking them up in the
  approved way. E.g. `Documents and Settings' becomes visible if if
  you set Explorer to showing hidden files, but you cannot enter it
  either from a command-prompt or from Explorer.
- Plus there is the never-ending misery of localized names which
  may be localized just in explorer, or localized for real.

Maybe also worth mentioning: under linux you can set a codepage
parameter when mounting a [v]fat drive. This is for converting to
short names.

--
Siep Kroonenberg