[tex-live] Mention new microtype in TL13 news

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Apr 24 09:44:32 CEST 2013

Am Tue, 23 Apr 2013 22:51:46 +0000 schrieb Karl Berry:

>     now enables microtype features for the xetex
>
> That was my understanding too.  Bob's test results are therefore pretty
> depressing.  I'm sure Heiko is working on an update for his luatex
> stuff.  I don't know about xetex.  Maybe you, or someone, could follow
> up with the microtype author?
>
> Anyway, I agree that if it actually works, it would be worth being
> included in the news.

microtype can't "enable" features that the engine doesn't have. But
the new version (which was available as beta already quite a long
time and is already included in miktex) *and* a current xetex engine
you can use protrusion with xetex. With luatex (< 0.75) expansion
works too. The documentation has on page 7 a nice table showing the
engines and they features.

If you try to force microtype to enable a feature that the engine
doesn't support (like expansion with xetex) you get an error.

I have seen various messages regarding the necessary updates for
luatex 0.75 so I'm quite confident that when TL2013 is released
everything will work.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/