[tex-live] bibtex and explicit bib-extension

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Apr 19 10:29:42 CEST 2013

If I run the following example through latex + bibtex with an
existing test.bib in the folder I get different behaviour with
TeXlive 2012 and miktex:

\documentclass{article}
\begin{document}

\nocite{*}
\bibliographystyle{plain}
\bibliography{test.bib} %bib-extension in the argument
\end{document}

In TeXlive the message of bibtex is:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d (TeX Live 2012/W32TeX)
Capacity: max_strings=35307, hash_size=35307, hash_prime=30011
The top-level auxiliary file: test-utf8.aux
The style file: plain.bst
Database file #1: test.bib.bib

But despite the last line bibtex uses the existing test.bib and
creates a bbl. If additionally a test.bib.bib exists too then bibtex
nevertheless uses the test.bib.

In miktex I get an error:

This is BibTeX, Version 0.99d
The top-level auxiliary file: test-utf8.aux
The style file: plain.bst
I couldn't open database file test.bib.bib

If additionally a test.bib.bib exists then miktex uses this
test.bib.bib.

Is the behaviour of TeXLive intendend? And if bibtex always falls
back to test.bib shouldn't the message be corrected?

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/