[tex-live] including "songs" package in TeX Live

Kevin Hamlen hamlen at utdallas.edu
Wed Apr 17 06:01:06 CEST 2013

Dear TeX Live maintainers,

I am the maintainer of the "songs" package on CTAN, and would like to
explore getting the package included into TeX Live.  Users frequently
contact me asking why it is not distributed with TeX Live, so I believe
it would be useful to include it.  I have regularly updated it on CTAN
since 2009.

To make it suitable for TeX Live, I would appreciate your advice about
how to best adapt the package to meet the TeX Live build standards.  It
already meets most of the standards (it is distributed under the GNU
GPL, it is thoroughly self-documenting via a *.dtx file, and it has no
unusual filenames or filename conflicts).  The main holdup is that it
includes an executable component written in C, and although the C
sources are fully compliant with the GNU coding standards, the current
build method is just a simple Makefile rather than the full
Autoconf/Automake system.

I have avoided Autoconf/Automake because it adds significant complexity
to the otherwise simple tree of files.  Most users do not need or use
the part that requires C-compilation.  They just use the .sty file and
they appreciate its easy availability without the hassle of
Autoconf/Automake.

My question:  Is there a way I can make the CTAN version of my package
suitable for auto-inclusion into TeX Live without adding an entire
Autoconf/Automake tree to it at the top level?  Ideally I would like the
root package directory to be a completely standard *.dtx/*.sty setup
that is handled fully automatically by the TeX Live build system.  The
C-compiled part would just be an optional extra subdirectory that
needn't be compiled by TeX Live by default. It would just be there for
advanced users who may want to explore that feature manually.

Thank you for your time,
Kevin Hamlen