[tex-live] List for announcements

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 16:03:22 CEST 2013

2013/4/17 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Norbert Preining wrote:
>
>> From Karl there are many more emails, what does one email make
>> an announcement and one not ...
>
> (A) That they /were/ announcements
> (B) That they were not replies.
>
> I deliberately included only details of /announcements/
> from Karl, so as to focus on the point in dispute.

Merging texmf and texmf-dist is not intended as a general
announcement, it was a question for developers, ie people who know the
internals and can discuss whether such a merge is desirable or not.
This means it is for people who read the whole list. Schedule is also
an announcement for developers. Information on pretest is also
intended for developers and testers. Pretest purpose s to find and fix
bugs before release, thus it should be announced and discussed on the
developer's list, not on the list for general public. Thus there are
two things to be announced publicly: the frozen state and the release,
nothing else.

As far as bidi is concerned, it is a special case. Packages are
updated regularly and not announced. There is already ctan-ann list
and the users know that unless TL is in a frozen state, CTAN updates
will appear in TL within a few days.

What seems to me as a usefu feature is a slight modification in tlmgr.
When I try to update, it says "no updates available" but it would be
nice if it could report "TL 2012 is now frozen" or something like
that.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/