[tex-live] texindy problems on Win7 (UNC paths?)

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Wed Apr 17 11:01:42 CEST 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2013/4/17 Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk>:
>>
>> For now we have observed two problems, one of which seems to be TL related.
>>
>> texindy does not work in a subfolder of the Documents folder. If we move the files to a folder outside the Documents folder, i.e., somewhere that is not mapped onto a UNC path, texindy works as expected. Since the domain controlled file mapping is rather common in large organizations this problem ought to be addressed somehow.
>>
>> I'm attaching a screen dump of the error we get when we try to use texindy. I cannot figure out if the problem is UNC paths or something else, but I suspect the folder mapping.
>>
> TeXindy is a perl wrapper over a CLISP code so I am afraid it cannot
> work with UNC paths due to limitation of CMD.

The problem in Lars' screen shot seems to be that NUL: (a.k.a.
/dev/null on Un*x) is emulated by a file on an UNC path. NUL: is
opened both for reading and for writing (that's possible on Un*x). The
error message tells that this is not possible on Win 7 with UNC paths.

I don't know which subsystem of texindy decides that NUL: is that one
path, maybe even CLISP. Since I have no Windows workstation with TL on
it, I can't look it up either. Lars might want to try to call texindy
with "-t logfile" and see if that works -- NUL: is used at least for
that file per default.

HTH,
Joachim