[tex-live] updmap.pl

Michael Sharpe msharpe at ucsd.edu
Wed Apr 17 01:01:15 CEST 2013

I noticed that the new version of updmap.pl for TeXLive 2013 is little changed from the 2012 version, so the following comments from observations of the prior version may still apply. I'm running MacTeX with OS X 10.8.3, and with the latest updates to TeXLive 2012.

I've arranged all my font packages to be outside my personal area, and copied the contents of

 /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-config/web2c/updmap.cfg

and

 /usr/local/texlive/texlive/web2c/updmap-local.cfg

into

 /usr/local/texlive/texlive/web2c/updmap.cfg

then deleting the former two, so that I have three updmap.cfg files, located in TEXMFLOCAL, TEXMFMAIN and TEXMFDIST.

Issue 1.

 sudo -H updmap-sys --edit

leads to the error message

Undefined subroutine &main::touch called at /usr/texbin/updmap line 432.

Issue 2:

 sudo -H updmap-sys --enable Map=foo.map

tells me

updmap is using the following updmap.cfg files (in precedence order):
  /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /usr/local/texlive/2012/../texmf-local/web2c/updmap.cfg
  /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/web2c/updmap.cfg
updmap is using the following updmap.cfg file for writing changes:
  /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

but, in fact, it writes the changes to TEXMFMAIN and does not create a new updmap.cfg in TEXMFCONFIG.

Even if updmap-sys did wirite the data to TEXMFCONFIG, that might not be useful, because the existing updmap.cfg in TEXMFLOCAL would take precedence over it. So, it appears that the writing commands --enable etc don't work as you expect. I solved this for myself by writing a new script that applies the writing commands directly to TEXMFLOCAL and then passing along the remaining commands to sudo -H updmap-sys with specified cnffile entries. The problem though is that for font packages I distribute that are not part of TeXLive, updmap.pl can lead to errors. (Note that this behavior may affect the getnonfreefonts---I modified it to point to my own script rather than updmap[-sys].) My script is available at

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3825336/TeX/index.html

under the title xupdmap-f.zip

Michael