[tex-live] [libertine]: libertine.sty in wrong dir

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Thu Sep 27 16:19:58 CEST 2012

 >|there should be a libertine.sty which provides compatibility!
 >|I have thousends (!) of example files which uses this package
 >|and I suppose a lot of other users too.

Herbert: And are you going to provide such a package? Your current
package does *not* provide compatibility for thousands of options,
macros, features and even whole fonts (outline, shadow) of the original
libertine.sty. It's great that *your* "thousands of files" apparently
don't need those features but other users' files likely do. Instead of
simply installing the compatibility style that works for you in *your*
tex system, you've now imposed it on TeXLive. I hope you're prepared as
maintainer to deal with complaints from other users. There *is* a simple
solution to the compatibility issue: users who can't use the new type1
packages should install libertine-legacy from CTAN.

BTW, it will *not* be possible to make the new type1 packages fully
compatible with libertine-legacy; for example, upstream no longer
supports outline and shadow fonts.

Bob T.