[tex-live] [install-tl] Limitation on length of installation path?

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 12:28:02 CEST 2012

Hello,

** Norbert Preining [2012-09-07 19:07:03 +0900]:

> Hi

>> Also, removing either `local' or `texlive' (i.e. setting installation path to
>>  /home/vladimir/usr/texlive/2012
>> or
>>  /home/vladimir/usr/local/2012
>> ) allows to install TL without manual intervetion.

>> Is this intended limitation?

> Yes and no. We check on writeabity two levels up in the hierarchy, but
> if that does not even exist it looks like it breaks.

I naively thought that it is enough to check permission to write
(create) in top directory, like e.g. ~/usr (I assume that this directory
exists) or `~', if to talk about `~/usr/local/...'. Is this perl
limitation, e.g. missing analog of `-p' parameter of `mkdir' or
something other? I'm just curious.

> We don't want to create intermediate directories.

Correct me if I wrong, installer will work with
  /this/is/path/to/TL/installation
path only if path
  /this/is/path/to/TL
already exists and writeable by user, i.e. it will create only last
component of (full) path?

> So, yes known, but I also don't see too much of a problem ;-)

Yes, I agreed.

> Norbert

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        -- Linus Torvalds