[tex-live] Polyglossia breaks XeLaTeX

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Sat Sep 1 20:24:41 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 06:59:56PM +0200, Lars Madsen wrote:
> On 09/01/2012 06:16 PM, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> have you tried converting it manually without relying on an editor.
> As Zdenek mentions, the log looks strange

Here again is the test document preamble (first line changed fom xetex
to XeLaTeX):

  %!TEX TS-program = XeLaTeX
  %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

  \documentclass[12pt,titlepage]{article}
  \usepackage{xltxtra}
  \usepackage{xunicode,fontspec}
  \usepackage[backend=biber,style=authoryear,sorting=nyt]{biblatex} %
  \usepackage{polyglossia} % conflicts with csquotes, fullpage, and biblatex.

I run the xelatex command from a terminal and get:

  (/home/haines/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/xkeyval.tex)))
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> blx at lng@\bbl at main@language

  l.35 \begin{document}

  ? s
  OK, entering \scrollmode...
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> blx at file@\bbl at main@language
                                       .lbx
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <write> ...g to load language '\bbl at main@language
                                                  '..\@gobble \on at line .
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> \bbl at main@language
                              .lbx
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <write> ...tex Info: ... file '\bbl at main@language
                                                  .lbx' not found\@gobble \o...
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> blx at file@\bbl at main@language
                                       .lbx
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> \bbl at main@language
                              .lbx
  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <write> ... Warning: Language '\bbl at main@language
                                                  ' not supported.\MessageBr...
  l.35 \begin{document}

  Package biblatex Warning: Language '' not supported.
  (biblatex)                Using fallback language 'english' on input line 35.

  (/home/haines/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/biblatex/lbx/english.lbx)
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> extras\bbl at main@language

  l.35 \begin{document}

  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> noextras\bbl at main@language

  l.35 \begin{document}

  Package biblatex Warning: 'babel' detected but 'csquotes' missing.
  (biblatex)                Loading 'csquotes' recommended.

  No file test-xelatex-document.aux.
  (/home/haines/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/latex/tipa/t3cmr.fd)
  No file test-xelatex-document.bbl.
  [1] (./test-xelatex-document.aux) )
  (see the transcript file for additional information)
  Output written on test-xelatex-document.pdf (1 page).
  Transcript written on test-xelatex-document.log.

>From a terminal I do get the PDF at the end, and so don't know how
seriously to take all the warnings.

However, if I issue the xelatex command in emacs/AUCTeX, no PDF is
created, and when I do C-c C-l to view the log, I see this:

  (/home/haines/texlive/2011/texmf-dist/tex/generic/xkeyval/xkeyval.tex)))
  ! Undefined control sequence.
  <argument> blx at lng@\bbl at main@language

  l.35 \begin{document}

  ?

It does not accept any commands to get past this point, such as s to
scroll to end.

Haines Brown