[tex-live] Polyglossia breaks XeLaTeX

Haines Brown haines at histomat.net
Sat Sep 1 17:54:55 CEST 2012

On Sat, Sep 01, 2012 at 03:39:20PM +0100, Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> the supplied evidence shows that your document definitely breaks under
> pdflatex, but then polyglossia requires xetex, so it's no surprise.
>
> what happens if you compile with xelatex? -- an example document would
> be good.
>
> robin

Sorry I wasn't clearer: I _am_ compiling with xelatex. That's why I
couldn't make head or tail of the error message which appears to
assume otherwise. Here is a sample preamble:

  %!TEX TS-program = xetex
  %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

  \documentclass[12pt,titlepage]{article}
  \usepackage{xltxtra}
  \usepackage{xunicode,fontspec}

  % \usepackage(csquotes} % conflicts with polyglossia
  % \usepacage{fullpage} % conflicts with polyglossia
  % \usepackage[backend=biber,style=authoryear,sorting=nyt]{biblatex} %
                       % conflits with polyglossia.

  \usepackage{polyglossia}
  \usepackage{xeCJK}                % fontspec for CJK commands
  \newfontfamily\Chinese{AR PL KaitiM GB}
  \setmainfont[Ligatures=TeX,Mapping=tex-text]{Linux Libertine O}
  \begin{document}

If I omit polyglosia, all other packages can be included and run fine.
If I include polyglossia, those packages marked as conflict can't be
included.

Haines