[tex-live] install-tl vs win7 64-bit

Lars Madsen daleif at imf.au.dk
Fri Oct 19 14:54:08 CEST 2012

In an earlier thread I mentioned some observations about the "perl stopped working" problem with install-tl.bat on win 7 64-bit.

I've now finally got my new office computer and now have a virtual win 7 64-bit to run tests on

One really strange observation: On line 330 in install-tl

- if I just add a blank line (using emacs 24.2 for windows) after this line, then perl no longer crash! wtf!?
- if the blank line is removed again, perl crash

if I add

my $foo = 1;

on a line after $^W=1; in install-menu-wizard.pl, then perl works

if I only write

my $foo;

then it crashes

If the requiring of 'trans.pl' is replaced with

sub __ ($@) { return 'foo'; }

then the crash persists, so it does not seem that trans.pl is the culprit

Any ideas as to what we should test?

/Lars Madsen
Institut for Matematik / Department of Mathematics
Aarhus Universitet / Aarhus University
Mere info: http://au.dk/daleif@imf / More information: http://au.dk/en/daleif@imf