[tex-live] a question about when gets the TL database refreshed in mirrors

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sat Oct 6 19:45:07 CEST 2012

On 06/10/2012 19:24, jfbu wrote:

> Yes abraces got installed

So your installation is as up-to-date as it can be. tlmgr tells you there are no
updates because there are no updates *in the TeX Live repository*. The rest of
CTAN is irrelevant.

> Again I had sort of guessed that there had to be some file queried by tlmgr,
> and my initial question was: when is this file updated?

It isn't "some file" or a "database", it's a package repository.

> All your explanations are just about me not understanding that there is such a mechanism!
>
> I do

Ok, let it be said that you do understand, if that point's so important to you.
OTOH, being confused about something outside one's expertise area from time to
time is perfectly OK.

> and I ask: what is the expected reactiveness of this mechanism: 1 day, 1
> week, 2 weeks?

I already answered: this mechanism is *not* automated and requires human
intervention. The reactivity you can expect is the one you observed until now,
namely usually a few days, unless the people (and again, for the past years it's
been only one person) who usually take care of it are temporarily unavailable.
And again, you can expect a bunch of updates for tomorrow or the day after.

Manuel.