[tex-live] a question about when gets the TL database refreshed in mirrors

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Sat Oct 6 19:11:45 CEST 2012

Le 6 oct. 2012 à 19:00, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> a écrit :

> On 06/10/2012 18:17, jfbu wrote:
>> But then I am puzzled, because as I said the mirror I queried does have
>> updated packages, compared to my computer;
>
> What makes you think it does?
>
>> so then why does tlmgr tell me there are no updates to install?
>>
> One possible explanation is that there is actually nothing to update.
>
>> I installed TL2012 only recently (circa a month ago) and so far all updates
>> were done (via Tex Live Utility on my Mac) successfully once or twice a week
>> when I saw packages announced on the ctan-ann RSS feed. But for the last week
>> or so, TLU, and also tlmgr from the command line, both tell me agains all
>> evidences (to the simple minded me ;-) ) that there are no updates to
>> install.
>>
> The packages aren't imported from CTAN automatically, a human coprocessor is
> needed to start and supervise the process. It happens that Karl, who usually
> handles this process alone, has been mostly offline for a few days. That
> explains why updates are coming slower. (But you can expect a bunch of updates
> tomorrow or the day after.)
>
> However, three packages where added/updated recently: ocgx, media9 and abraces.
> You may want to check if abraces is present in your installation (using 'tlmgr
> info abraces' for example): if it is, your installation is up-to-date.
> Otherwise, there may indeed be a problem on your side, since the package is
> present at the oleane mirror and should be auto-installed (assuming
> collection-latexextra is installed).
>
> hth,
> Manuel.
>
> PS: your initial message looks like an example of the XYZ syndrom: you notice a
> problem X (no update), think of a possible explanation Y (texlive.tlpdb not in
> sync with actual packages on mirror) and than ask about Y, while the real
> explanation is Z (maybe there aren't any updates). Please try to ask about X
> first, next time :)

Manuel:

Index de ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/fonts/mathdesign/

Vers un rép. de plus haut niveau

Nom	Taille	Dernière modification
afm		05/10/12	11:49:00
config		05/10/12	11:49:00
doc		05/10/12	11:49:00
enc		05/10/12	11:49:00
latex		05/10/12	11:49:00
map		05/10/12	11:49:00
mathdesign-doc.pdf		06/10/12	00:00:00
MD-Adobe-Adobe-Garamond-Pro-example.pdf	598 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
MD-Adobe-Utopia-example.pdf	238 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
MD-Adobe-Utopia-Std-example.pdf	465 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
MD-Bitstream-Bitstream-Charter-example.pdf	231 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
MD-itc-Charter-ITC-Std-example.pdf	370 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
MD-urw-GaramondNo8-example.pdf	255 KB	05/10/12	09:59:00
opentype		05/10/12	11:49:00
tfm		05/10/12	11:49:00
type1		05/10/12	11:49:00
vf		05/10/12	11:49:00

Definitely my version of mathdesign on my system is older

texdoc --list mathdesign-doc.pdf
 1 /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/latex/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf
   = Package documentation
 2 /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/doc/fonts/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf
   = Package documentation
Please enter the number of the file to view, anything else to skip: 1

and then from the pdf I see it dates back to 2006

The mathdesign package Paul Pichaureau

January 29, 2006

The file on

ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/fonts/mathdesign/mathdesign-doc.pdf

has title

The mathdesign package
Paul Pichaureau

October 5, 2012

Allright and I repeat that despite this I get

xxx$ tlmgr --repository=ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet update -all
tlmgr: package repository ftp://ftp.oleane.net/pub/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet
tlmgr: saving backups to /usr/local/texlive/2012/tlpkg/backups
tlmgr: no updates available

So I am not sure I mixed up X, Y and Z

Regards and thanks

Jean-Francois