[tex-live] tlmgr update --self --all crash

Bob Tennent rdt at cs.queensu.ca
Fri Nov 30 15:44:06 CET 2012

This has now happened twice, during the final stages of an update. The
first time (yesterday), a Windows guest was running on the machine
and I made the obvious assumption. Problems were reported by tlmgr
check all, so I re-installed texlive. Today (the next day) there was
a similar crash. Nothing in the system log. kpathsea warned about No
usable entries in ls-R files, so I texhashed. But tlmgr check all still
reports problems:

 Files present but not covered (relative to /usr/local/texlive/2012):
  texmf-dist/lsR23898.tmp/lsR23898.tmp
  texmfcnf.lua

  Running check runfiles:
  # afoot.sty
  diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/arabtex/afoot.sty /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/latex/ledmac/afoot.sty
  # c-cap.dat
  diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/data/c-cap.dat /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/dataII/c-cap.dat
  # citycapitals.dat
  diff /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/data/citycapitals.dat /usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/tex/generic/pst-geo/dataII/citycapitals.dat

etc.

What should I do now? It seems re-installing won't solve the problem.
Running Centos 6.3. The system hasn't previously been unstable. A
similar system at home (same hardware and mostly same software) hasn't
been problematic.

Bob T.