[tex-live] movie15 and media9

Horst Hohberger horst at sjtu.edu.cn
Sun Mar 18 16:26:35 CET 2012

Sorry for butting into the discussion, but I feel confused. Is it actually the case that

1) movie15 and/or media9 is not using any proprietary components and is available under a "sensible" FOSS license

and

2) the output of movie15 and/or media9 uses certain features of PDF that are part of the ISO standard

but

3) said features haven't been implemented by any viewer except Adobe's?

And it should still be excluded from TeXLive because of 3) ? I understand the logic of excluding proprietary software, but out seems strange (to put it mildly) to use 3) as a basis for exclusion.

Please do tell me if I have misunderstood a facet of the argument. This is the voice of a typical user, not a developer or TeX wizard.

Horst

On Mar 18, 2012, at 11:02 PM, Pablo Rodríguez wrote:

> Just in case it helps (and I understood the issues here).
>
> Alexander Grahn (both movie1.5 and media9 author) has send a message to
> the poppler mailing list
> (http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/2012-March/008780.html)
> to integrate media9 in poppler. (I'm subscribed to the list, just in
> case anyone wonders.)
>
> And TLContrib (http://tlcontrib.metatex.org/) seems to be the right
> repository for stuff that isn't part of CTAN.
>
> Just in case it might help,
>

> Pablo
>

> On 18/03/12 10:20, Victor Ivrii wrote:
>> I noticed today that movie15 is supposed to be removed from texlive
>> distribution: quick look at CTAN revealed that it is obsolete and will
>> be succeeded by media9. Unfortunately media9 has not made its way into
>> texlive yet—so anyone who needs movie15 should wait before updating.
>>

>> Victor
>
> --
> http://www.ousia.tk

Dr. Horst Hohberger

Lecturer for Mathematics

University of Michigan - Shanghai Jiaotong University Joint Institute
上海交通大学密西根学院