[tex-live] Bug in luatex-hyphen

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 19:42:25 CET 2012

Dear Alan,

thank you very much for this bug report. (We can move further
discussion to tex-hyphen.)

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 18:20, Alan Munn wrote:
> There seems to be a problem with loading hyphenation patterns for Brazilian Portuguese when using babel with LuaLaTeX.  The following document fails miserably because (I think) 'brazilian' (or 'brazil') isn't set as a synonym for 'portuguese' (or 'portuges') in language.dat.lua
>
> % !TEX TS-program = LuaLaTeX
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[brazil]{babel}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> Documento de teste.
>
> \end{document}
>
> Since language.dat.lua is generated from language.dat and both are generated by tlmgr I'm posting this here.
>

> The issue was reported here: http://tex.stackexchange.com/q/47605/2693

Is this considered a bug in babel, a bug in hyphenation patterns
databases or a bug in luatex-based pattern loading?

It is trivial to add an extra entry to language.dat, language.def and
language.dat.lua and I can do that, but I would like to also hear
other's opinion.

Since the given chunk of code seems to work fine in xelatex and
pdflatex (without the need to add extra synonyms), I guess that this
might be a problem in the lua code? I don't understand Babel well
enough, but I assume that it does the following:
    if brazil patterns are available
        use brazil patterns
    else
        use portugues patterns as a fallback
    end
and lualatex chokes on trying to load brazil patterns that don't exist?

In my opinion it makes slightly more sense if babel/polyglossia is
able to deal with synonyms properly and only load brazil patterns if
different patterns are actually available. One particular case (=
reason why it makes more sense) is plain eTeX which needs to load
several copies of the same patterns in order to be able to support
synonyms.

I want to hear Manuel's opinion first, but unless I misunderstand the
problem, my suggestion is the following:
a) If Manuel (or anyone else) is able to provide a fix quickly, we
should submit that fix.
b) Else I will provide a workaround and fix hyphen-portuguese to
include two synonyms (brazil/brazilian) until somebody manages to
implement a proper fix (and then I'll change hyphen-portuguese back to
the old state).

But my understanding/diagnostics might as well be wrong.

Mojca