[tex-live] Raspberry PI

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:10:15 CEST 2012

On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM, Boris Veytsman wrote:
> MM> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 20:12:11 +0200
> MM> From: Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com>
>
> MM> PS: To comfort Norbert a bit: the first ConTeXt hello world took 500s
> MM> including an automatic run of "mtxrun --generate" and generation of
> MM> ConTeXt format. Subsequent ConTeXt runs took 18 s (which brought me
> MM> back to 2004 when I started using ConTeXt and found it to be awfully
> MM> slow).
>
> What about plain TeX?  Should be relatively fast on this platform.
> If so, we can think about an embedded TeX engine for some
> applications - like an ebook reader with rendering on the fly.

When X11 is not running it takes between 1-2 s (without exact time
measurements, using only human perception) for tex or pdftex to
process a hello-world document. I didn't try to compile any longer
book yet.

ConTeXt with pdfTeX takes 5 s, ConTeXt with LuaTeX takes 9 s (as
opposed to 18 s when X11 is running). 16 GB microSDHC class 4 (I just
grabbed the first one that I found from the shelf without studying
performance differences) and ConTeXt scheme of TeX Live installed
only.

Mojca

(I would like to request fixing platform recognition as soon as SVN
commits will be allowed again. Apart from that tiny bit and that weird
LuaTeX crash, everything else seems to work just fine. I only miss a
bit more memory.)