[tex-live] Windows installer of Tex Live 2012 pretest points still to Tex Live 2011 repository?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jun 23 02:08:18 CEST 2012

On 2012-06-22 at 14:50:47 +0200, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

 > I downloaded the install-tl.zip archive, unzipped it (into
 > install-tl-20120611) and tried to run any of install-tl.bat or
 > install-tl-advanced.bat.
 >
 > Both complained that the respository is at still at 2011.

If you want to install the pretest release you have to tell the
installer to download from a server providing the pretest repository.

  http://www.tug.org/texlive/pretest.html

This looks inconvenient at a first glance.  But the TL-2011 stuff on
CTAN mirrors will be replaced by TL-2012 very soon.

For those who are not interested in beta testing, it's very
convenient.  They only have to wait until TL-2012 is released.
Furthermore, it seems that TL-2011 users don't have to install TL-2012
from scratch.  "tlmgr update --all" should be sufficient for the
upgrade.

A dedicated installer for beta testers (which uses a pretest
repository by default) doesn't make much sense.  They have to change
the repository anyway when the pretest phase is over.  If you have to
change the repository once, it's not a big deal to do it twice.  The
fact that you don't have to install from scratch at all predominates
such little inconveniences, IMO.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25