[tex-live] changed hyphenation after update to texlive 2012

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 19:48:00 CEST 2012

On 7/14/12, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> The only thing I wonder about the licence is whether we are violating
>> it by calling Ukrainian ones "hyph-uk" :)
>
> No.

That's why there was a smiley.

> %(a) the filename (the portion before the extension, if any)
> %    must not match any of :
> %
> %        UKHYPH                  UK-HYPH
> %        UKHYPHEN                UK-HYPHEN
> %        UKHYPHENS               UK-HYPHENS
> %        UKHYPHENATION           UK-HYPHENATION
> %        UKHYPHENISATION         UK-HYPHENISATION
> %        UKHYPHENIZATION         UK-HYPHENIZATION
> %
> %   regardless of case
>
> but I think that you were foolish (Norbert would probably
> write "stupid", but I prefer more moderate language in e-mail)
> not to follow the recommendation :
>
> %(b) the file must contain conditions identical to these,
> % except that the modifier/distributor may, if he or she
> % wishes, augment the list of proscribed filenames.
>
> and augment the list of proscribed names with "hyph-en-gb.tex".

At the moment I don't care how people name the files. And here in
particular it boils down to settings in language.dat, not in
particular filename.

> Incidentally, even though ISO are apparently unaware of the
> difference between GB and UK (the latter is "The United Kingdom
> of Great Britain (GB) and Northern Ireland"), it would have
> been better to rename the file to "hyph-en-uk.tex".  These
> patterns are applicable throughout the entire United Kingdom,
> not just in Great Britain.

I won't change the name since UK is not the official ISO code. GB
stands for United Kingdom, not for Great Britain (even though it might
not be obvious from the first sight), so according to what you say the
current name matches perfectly.

Here is a citation from Wikipedia:
"As a consequence, for example, the United Kingdom is officially
assigned the alpha-2 code GB rather than UK, based on its official
name "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (although
UK is reserved on the request of the United Kingdom)."

Mojca