[tex-live] tl-install needs too much disk space

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Jul 12 11:22:37 CEST 2012

On Mi, 13 Jun 2012, Leo Liu wrote:
> When I installed TeX Live 2012 pretest on Windows, I noticed that it
> costs too much disk space for compressed packages. The achieves in
> texlive/temp/*.xz are not deleted in time.

That is on purpose. In case the installation breaks at some point,
a simple restart with the same target director will *re-use*
all the already downloaded packages.

So we keep them on purpose, they will be removed at the end of
the installation.

I think nowadays with disk space normally abundant 1.5 or so extra G
is not so much pain?!?

> Would it be changed? Thanks.

I don't think that changing this default for the rare case that someone
is so low on disk space pays of the disadvantage to maybe be
required to re-download all the packages ...

But I guess we are open for suggestions.

Best wishes

Norbert