[tex-live] Windows installer of Tex Live 2012 pretest points still to Tex Live 2011 repository?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jul 9 20:54:22 CEST 2012

On 2012-07-09 at 19:16:56 +0200, Wolfgang Keller wrote:

 > > > P.S.: Thanks anyway for removing this #§$%&@! burden of having to
 > > > entirely re-install TeX Live from scratch every year.
 > >
 > > Well, under Windows better to reinstall:
 > >
 > > <http://tug.org/texlive/upgrade.html>
 >
 > *shrug*
 >
 > Tlmgr has just finished updating those 250 packages - my documents
 > still compile.

Please obey Norbert's warning:

   http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2012-June/031797.html

The nasty thing is that you certainly run into trouble later.

Maybe you have to remove TEXMFCONFIG/web2c/updmap.cfg at least.
Afterwards you have to re-install your own fonts as described in the
documentation.

BTW, when upgrading from TL-2011 to TL-2012, I got abt. 1100 package
updates.  With tlmgr's backup feature enabled, this took even more
time than a fresh installation.  Furthermore, in multi-platform
environments one has to be careful because some of the platforms
supported last year aren't supported anymore, but their
bin-directories are not deleted automatically.

I recommend to do a fresh installation.  Rolling releases are not
supported (yet) and regarding the issue with [un]supported platforms,
I don't have a good idea how this could be implemented sensibly.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25