[tex-live] tlmgr reports success when not removing packages

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jul 2 01:09:08 CEST 2012

On Jul 1, 2012, at 15:40 , Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

> What would be a proper return value here? I don't know! Success?
> Failure?

I suspected you'd ask that, but came up with this test after sending
my message.  Nonzero is correct, I think:

$ ls
bar foo
$ rm foo bar baz ; echo $?
rm: baz: No such file or directory
1

> I believe that the return value of "failure" should only be
> used on *real* failures, like cannot read a file, broken access,
> whatever, but not for something like this.

OK, no problem; I'll handle it differently.  This is a pretty minor
issue as far as I'm concerned.

> But as said, in general the return values are *NOT* at all reliable
> nor have any meaning.

Believe me, I know :).  I also understand what a huge task it would
be to change that, with very small gain for you, so I'm not lobbying
for change in that regard.

thanks,
Adam