[tex-live] Problem with perl in Windows 7

John Collins collins at phys.psu.edu
Tue Jan 10 19:16:32 CET 2012

Robert B. Gozzoli wrote:
 > I have a problem with perl.exe, and this does not make Texify in
 > WinEdt as well as TexWorks work properly under Windows 7. Last week, I
 > had a problem with perl when I updated TexLive 2011 through tlmgr by
 > Cmd. The screen at the end complained that it could not update
 > updmap.sys.

Actually the problem is not with perl, but with an error that biber finds.
  In the result of your run you have:

 > Latexmk: This is Latexmk, John Collins, 9 December 2011, version: 4.30a.

This is a message from latexmk; it shows that perl is working and correctly
invoked latexmk.

The rest of your output shows that biber was run by latexmk, and that biber
reported an error.

This may be connected with tlmgr's complaint that it couldn't update
updmap.sys; I'll let the experts on TeXLive configuration deal with that.

The output from running biber was summarized by latexmk as follows:

> ------------
> Running 'biber  "PSAMMETICHUSII"'
> ------------
> Latexmk: applying rule 'biber PSAMMETICHUSII'...
> Latexmk: Found biber source file(s) [PSAMMETICHUSII.bcf PsammetichusII.bib]
> Collected error summary (may duplicate other messages):
>  biber PSAMMETICHUSII: Command for 'biber PSAMMETICHUSII' gave return code 2304
> Latexmk: Use the -f option to force complete processing.
> Biber warning: [6745] Utils.pm:169> WARN - BibTeX subsystem:
> C:\Users\Robynet\AppData\Local\Temp\WWfSv_b9Sj\PsammetichusII.bib_3804.utf8,
> line 1, warning: 3 characters of junk seen at toplevel

followed by a bunch of warnings about database entries that were not found.
  The warning messages report they are from a perl module Utils.pm that is
part of biber.

Have a look at biber's log file PsammetichusII.blg.  It may contain more
information about what went wrong.

You could also try running biber from the command line: when the current
working directory is that of your document, use the command

       biber PSAMMETICHUSII

Does that give the same errors?

John Collins
(latexmk maintainer)