[tex-live] bibtex8 on Linux do not work with Windows-styled .bst files

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 11:47:53 CET 2012

2012/2/10 Pavel Parkhomenko <ra85551 at gmail.com>:
> On 10 February 2012 12:30, Robin Fairbairns
> <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>> however, it seems eccentric to say you found a copy of something in tl,
>> and it doesn't work.  mending bibtex8 would be nice, but it's not likely
>> to happen.
>>
>> now, if it turns out the the tl copy has problems, you've got a _real_
>> cause for complaint.
>
> Author of disser package (who provide me with wrong .csf files) said
> that he couldn't see similar behaviour in MikTeX,
> so I [erroneously] thought it might be something TeXLive-related
> (because bibtex8 is included in texlive package).
> I am very sorry for inconvenience caused.

bibtex8 is packaged in TL, it is not developed by TL maintainers.

> This is not very big issue, I can quickly swap CRLF with LF manually
> in every 'wrong' style file I am trying to use, but I just thought
> that this truly 'mechanical' work may be easily done by appropriate
> software tool (bibtex8)...

I agree that cross-platform programs should be able to read files with
any line-end convention. The devnag preprocessor can read CR/LF/CRLF
(even a mixture of them) but always outputs text files according to
the platform convention. When writing the bug report you can suggest
to get this input routine (written by me) from the devnag
preprocessor, it's license is GPL, so copying the routine is legal.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/