[tex-live] missing format files in texlive 2007

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 24 00:46:53 CET 2012

    I just ran "find /usr/local/texlive -name etex.fmt" and it was not
    found in 2007.

Nevertheless, etex has been supported in TL and its predecessors ever
since it (etex) was first released.  I well remember a discussion with
Sebastian and Peter about making "etex" invoke e-TeX instead of eplain
in the late 80s/early 90s.

Perhaps your find does not see it because the .fmt was never built due
to various options, or because it was built in a home directory (now
gone) or ... who knows.  But there is an etex binary, really.