[tex-live] Every fourth or five ftp attempt in tlmgr ... fails

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Dec 19 01:32:29 CET 2012

On 2012-12-18 at 21:03:13 +0100, Bernhard Kleine wrote:

 > Am Montag, den 17.12.2012, 20:30 -0400 schrieb George N. White III:
 > > I've seen this quite often (Scientific Linux and OSX) at a campus with
 > > a "corporate firewall".   Sometimes disabling tcp window scaling
 > > helps.
 > >

 > > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Bernhard Kleine
 > > <bernhard.kleine at gmx.net> wrote:
 > >         Dear all,
 > >
 > >         while updating using tlmgr --gui this morning I noticed again
 > >         that every
 > >         fourth or fifth package is not obtained by ftp but by wget.
 > >         That does
 > >         not directly pose a problem. However, the time spent by tlmgr
 > >         for
 > >         finding out that ftp does not work and wget has to be used is
 > >         more than
 > >         40 seconds. Thus the update takes much longer than necessary.
 > >
 > >         See below the error. I hope that I am not the only one where
 > >         this
 > >         occurs. System is Ubuntu 12.04 on amd_x64 Linux.
 > >
 > >         Kind regards
 > >
 > >         Bernhard
 > >
 > >         Useless content call in void context
 > >         at /usr/share/perl5/LWP/Protocol/ftp.pm line 379
 > >         TLDownload::get_file: response error:
 > >           400 FTP return code 000
 > >         permanent server connection set up, but downloading did not
 > >         succeed!
 > >         Retrying with wget.
 > >

 > Hi George,
 >
 > this is still strange: 80 % of the ftp calls are correctly executed, one
 > fifth is not. I am sitting behind my private "Fritzbox! 6340 cable"
 > router with a single PC attached to it. The internet provider is
 > Kabel-BW.
 >
 > I had been thinking about a timing problem in tlmgr. What do the others
 > think?

Did you set up your system to download from a particular server or are
you downloading from CTAN, which redirects reqests to mirrors randomly.

What's the output of

  tlmgr option repository

?  I still don't know whether your problem is related to perl5/LWP
vs. wget or to FTP vs. HTTP.

If it's related to FTP (as I deduce from your mails), you could try to
set

  tlmgr option repository http://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet

in order to make sure that the HTTP protocol is used.  It would be
very helpful to know whether this works.

You'll find a list of mirrors at

  http://dante.ctan.org/mirmon

Regards,
  Reinhard