[tex-live] Adobe OFL fonts to package

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 11 20:50:11 CET 2012

On 2012-12-11 20:36, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2012-12-11 at 16:07:12 +0100, Pander wrote:
>
>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > Perhaps someone here with font packaging experience would like to
>  > package the follow Adobe OFL fonts for CTAN and subsequently have TeX
>  > Live ship these too:
>  >   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1088932
>  >   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1088933
>
> Hi Pander,
> since OpenType fonts don't need TeX support files, you don't need any
> experience in font packaging.  There are many other useful OTF
> provided by SIL International too.
>
>   http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?cat_id=FontDownloads
>
> I don't have any opinion about putting them on CTAN.  As far as TeX
> Live is concerned, I fear that most people prefer to have them
> installed as system fonts rather than in TeX Live.  This way they can
> be used with other programs too.  XeTeX and LuaTeX can use system
> fonts anyway.

This is one of the troubles we have with e.g. Ubuntu. Its packages
providing many of the same OTF and TTF fonts are messing up the which
fonts are used for non-advanced users.

Personally I would like that both ship the packages but especially the
(Ubuntu) system package manager allows deinstallation of font packages
which already ship with TeX Live and this is harder then it seems since
many packages have dependencies on font packages :S .

In reality TeX Live is the quickest with updating font packages so I
have a script that fixes my system for that.

In short after apt-get upgrade:

$ sudo rm -f
/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype/public/Asana-Math/*tf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/yanone-kaffeesatz/*\.ttf /u
sr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu/*tf
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/droid/*tf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont/*tf

$ cat .fonts.conf
<?xml version='1.0'?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM 'fonts.dtd'>
<fontconfig>
	<dir>/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
	<dir>/usr/local/texlive/2012/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
</fontconfig>

> If someone is willing to prepare a web page with font samples and
> links to the download pages, that would be best IMO.

George N. White III pointed out to me that they are already in TeX Live
since November of this year. Sorry for not noticing this.