[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Fri Aug 24 10:19:33 CEST 2012

Akira Kakuto wrote:

>> My current hypothese is that a part of xindy can't resolve the short
>> path name correctly.
>
> Confirmed. I misunderstood the problem. It is a difficult problem for me.
> At present, if a user uses short path names, she/he must redefine
> TEMP without using short names and without using quotes.

Is it possible to send me a stand-alone Perl program that
demonstrates the problem ?  I would be more than willing to
investigate how it might be addressed without placing such
constraints on a normal would-be Windows TeX Live user.

> PS:
> fsutil behavior set disable8dot3 1
> after the next boot, short names are not written on
> file system.

"fsutil" needs to be launched from an elevated command prompt,
and such a solution is clearly only useful while investigating,
not as an integral part of the final solution.

** Phil.