[tex-live] xindy doesn't work on windows

Joachim Schrod jschrod at acm.org
Fri Aug 24 02:47:16 CEST 2012

Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Of which there are many.  But each may have a different rule when
> it comes to specifying how the preferred location for temporary
> files is to be indicated through the medium of environment
> variables

The behavior is that way because the author of the Perl standard
module File::Temp decided it to be that way. If you think that's a
problem, you should probably discuss that with him/her on a perl
distribution list, and not here on TL mailing list. Nobody here
will be able to change that behavior, and nobody will care. You're
barking up the wrong tree.

Meanwhile I'm still trying to understand the root cause of Ulrike's
problem, not having a Windows system where xindy is installed. She
writes the problematic value is set in system control -- is it
really set there with double quotes? Are quotes part of the env var
value that is passed to the Perl script?

If yes, and if that's a standard Windows behavior, I think one
could/should add a workaround that cares for that situation. There
are tons of workarounds for OS idiosynchrasies [sp?] in the script,
one more doesn't matter.

Cheers,
	Joachim

Joachim Schrod, Roedermark, Germany