[tex-live] Finding files with texlive

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 05:38:00 CEST 2012

Hello,

** Rummel, Jeff [2012-08-17 14:39:15 +0000]:

> I have tried everything I can think of, so it is probably something
> obvious.  I thought it would be wise to migrate from PCTeX to the
> texlive implementation, since it seems to be a standard installation.
> I have a search path in PCTeX that includes the parent of the current
> directory (\..)

IMHO, very ugly feature.

> and a directory where I keep my LaTeX styles.

Didn't see PCTeX in action and don't know what this means.

> I read through the documentation and thought that texlive would look
> in TEXMFHOME for my styles.

Yes and not, TeX Live manual

2.3 Overview of the predefined texmf trees

TEXMFHOME

    The tree which users can use for their own individual installations
    of additional or updated macros, fonts, etc. The expansion of this
    variable dynamically adjusts for each user to their own individual
    directory.

and below:

The default layout is:

user’s home
    ($HOME or %USERPROFILE%)

    texmf

        TEXMFHOME Personal macros, etc.

3.2.3 Directories

TEXMFHOME is the recommended location for personal macro files or
packages.

Special redundant note: TEXMFHOME, like all trees, must be organized
according to the TDS, or files may not be found.

> I ran
> Kpsewhich -var-value TEXMFHOME
> thinking that is where pdfLaTeX would look when I click the typeset
> button in TeXworks. So the document starts \documentclass{jlrhandouts}
> And jlrhandouts.cls is in the directory c:/Users/jrummel/texmf, but
> TeXworks says file not found.  I tried Set
> TEXINPUTS=c:\Users\jrummel\texmf

I tried (not hard) to search internet for `jlrhandouts' class file but
found nothing. Nevertheless, you use wrong path, see above quotes from
manual, you should put the class file here

C:/Users/texmf/tex/latex/jlr/

After that latex/pdflatex/xelatex/lualatex can find it. But this may be
not enough if class file uses some other custom files shipped with it,
they must be placed it the same directory.

> with and without the trailing semicolon.  I am at a loss about what to
> do next.  And then I have to figure out how to get the parent
> directory into my search.

Use recommended way to include personal files.

> Why doesn't TeX Live Manager 2012 have something in it for Windows
> users who want to point to some directories in a simple way?

Because this is the way to mess (don't get me wrong, but the "simple
way" is treated differently by different people).

> Thanks for any help.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
	The master programmer moves from program to program without fear.  No
change in management can harm him.  He will not be fired, even if the project