[tex-live] meta data of ucs

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 25 12:16:05 CEST 2012

Wolfgang Jeltsch <wolfgang at cs.ioc.ee> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, den 24.04.2012, 14:43 -0700 schrieb Karl Berry:
> > > I have a request though. The short and long description of this
> > > package on CTAN have changed. Could the meta data in TeXLive please
> > > be updated accordingly?
> >
> > Well, ordinarily such "description skew" is something that just has to
> > be lived with.  But in this case, TL had the right information.
> >
> >     <http://mirror.ctan.org/help/Catalogue/entries/ucs.html>  .
> >
> > mirror.ctan.org is a multiplexer.  I surmise the mirror you ended up was
> > out of date.  I see the same information at the UK backbone node as in TL:
> > http://www.tex.ac.uk/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/ucs.html
>
> I also see the same information on both the UK backbone node and my
> mirror. And it’s the current information. However,
>
>     tlmgr show ucs
>
> still shows the old one.
>
> The new information is this:
>
>     Short description:
>
>         Extended UTF-8 input encoding support for LaTeX.
>
>     Long description:
>
>         The bundle provides the ucs package, and utf8x.def, together
>         with a large number of support files.
>
>         The utf8x.def definition file for use with inputenc covers a
>         wider range of Unicode characters than does utf8.def in the
>         LaTeX distribution. The package provides facilities for
>         efficient use of its large sets of Unicode characters.
>
>         Glyph production may be controlled by various options, which
>         permits use of non-ASCII characters when coding mathematical
>         formulae.
>
>         Note that the bundle previously had an alias “unicode”; that
>         alias has now been withdrawn, and no package of that name now
>         exists.

which is what tl has; note that i've just updated from the ctan master
repository copy (because i can).

> The last paragraph of the long description is only relevant for CTAN.
>
> The description I find in TeXLive is this:
>
>     Short description:
>
>         Extended UTF-8 input encoding for LaTeX.
>
>     Long description:
>
>         This bundle provides the ucs package, and utf8x.def, together
>         with a large number of support files. The utf8x.def definition
>         file for use with inputenc covers a wider range of Unicode
>         characters than does utf8.def in the LaTeX distribution. The ucs
>         package provides facilities for efficient use of large sets of
>         Unicode characters.
>
> > Nevertheless, I forced an update in TL anyway, just for the heck of it.
>
> Note that the ucs package was formerly called “unicode” on CTAN, while
> it is now called “ucs”. Could it be that TeXLive gets its meta data from
> an obsolete source?

on the contrary, i suspect you updated from a ctan mirror that isn't
itself up-to-date.

note that cambridge retrieves tl from its source at around 0400 my
time.  (it looks again at 0430, fwiw.)

our (ctan's) mirror monitor complains if it finds a mirror >24 hours out
of date.  your mirror still has 17 hours to catch up.

Robin Fairbairns

For the CTAN team